Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral-anal contact
Feb 11, 2002

Recently I had sex with a sexworker during which I brielfy (20-30 seconds) touched her anus with my toungue. Her anus was clean with no evidence of damage, cuts or sores. My mouth was also free of cuts, sores or other evident damage. I spit immediately after removing my mouth of her anus and washed my mouth within 10 minutes after the episode. What are my odds of contracting HIV? Should I take HIV tests three and six months from now, or am I worruing too much. Regards.

Response from Mr. Kull

It is unlikely that you would have been infected through insertive/giving anilingus (rimming, oral-anal contact).

Putting your mouth on someone's anus poses a very low-risk for HIV infection. There is only one published case of transmission occurring oral-anal contact. Transmission is only likely to occur if your mouth comes into contact with blood in the receptive partner's rectum; having sores in your mouth might increase the risk of transmission if you come into contact with the infected person's blood.

A person rimming another without a barrier is at greater risk for infection with hepatitis A virus, parasites, and bacteria, so it is important to be aware of any feces coming into contact with your mouth. Getting a hepatitis A vaccine is a good idea if you are sexually active (especially for men who have sex with men) or in a region where hepatitis A is prevalent.

The receptive partner in anilingus is at virtually no risk for infection (saliva coming into contact with mucous membranes). HIV can be isolated in the saliva of infected people, but at low and probably non-infectious levels. This is why we don't see people getting infected by deep kissing or through receiving any variation of oral sex.

RMK

Previous
unprotected sex with a man with Hep C.
Next
Kiss Me Like You Mean It

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.