HIV vs. HCV

I have read in your posts that HIV can only live outside the

body for a few minutes, and that if it lived for hours or days, we would have seen it transferred through casual contact and other ways. I have also read that HCV can live up to 14 days and is easier to catch, but it is not able to be transmitted through casual contact. Should I be extra cautious around a person I know with HCV. Could her blood pose a problem for my family for up to 14 days? Does the blood have to be visible to transmit the virus?

THANKS!!

According to the Centers for Disease Control, you would be at risk for Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) infection if one or more of the following applied to you:

*You were notified that you received blood from a donor who later tested positive for hepatitis C.

*Have ever injected illegal drugs, even if you experimented a few times many years ago

*Received a blood transfusion or solid organ transplant before July, 1992

*Received a blood product for clotting problems produced before 1987

*Have ever been on long-term kidney dialysis

*Have evidence of liver disease (e.g., persistently abnormal ALT levels)

Exposure to blood is a risk for hepatitis and other bloodborne pathogens. It is highly unlikely that HCV infection will occur through casual contact in a household.

RMK

Symptoms and testing?
Polyurethane condoms