Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV home test package
Dec 26, 2000

Dear Ryan:

Recently I had an encounter with a sex worker in NYC. I had my condom on my penis for the whole time when we had sex. However, I have been stressed out for the last two weeks since I keep thinking of getting HIV virus from her, although the probability is very very small.

Here is the question. I found out there is a package called Discreet home testing kit on the Internet. They say this type of package detects antibody in 21 days after exposure and the accuracy is 99.4 %. Do you recommend me to use this home test kit? If this test kit works, then why should people wait for 3 month before the first test, for other testing kit or procedures?

Response from Mr. Kull

No, I do not recommend this test! Please refer to my response to Home Tests for information about home testing and internet fraud. As far as I know, the only home test that has been approved is the Home Access testing kit. Please don't trust extravagant claims on the Internet.

I agree with your assessment that you are at very low risk for infection.

RMK

Previous
how long is acute in terms of onset symptoms of hiv
Next
Urethra or Shaft

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.