Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how long is acute in terms of onset symptoms of hiv
Dec 26, 2000

I recently had unprotected sex with someone, and although he did not ejaculate in me, i still know that the virus could have been trasmitted. I asked him when the last time he was tested for HIV and he said it had been a few months prior to that night. As soon as i got home, i began to feel sick and got a fever of 103. The day before i had unprotected sex, i had gone running in the cold and my hair was wet but i was wearing a hat. I did some research on the onset symptoms of HIV and acute swelling of the lympnodes, fever, stiff neck, and a sore throat were listed. I was wonderng how long it takes before onset symptoms occured. The web site i checked said they were acute, but exactly how long is "acute" in terms of the onset symptoms to occur.

Response from Mr. Kull

It is highly unlikely that you would experience symptoms that close to infection. Some research indicates that people develop symptoms approximately 2-4 weeks after infection, though it is feasible that someone could develop symptoms before two weeks have elapsed since infection.

The best way to tell if you have been HIV infected is to get an anitbody test after three months have elapsed since your exposure.

RMK

Previous
HIV or another STD?
Next
HIV home test package

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.