Scared please help!!!

Ryan, Is it possible that if I had hiv infected blood on my hand or fingernail, and I have a frquent habit of picking at my zits, that I could be infected with HIV in this manner? What is the likeliness of this happening?

There is no way to estimate the likelihood of transmission happening this way because there are no documented cases of transmission occurring in this manner. Transmission is known to occur through:

1) Sexual contact: anal, vaginal, and oral sex

2) Blood-to-blood contact: sharing injection needles, occupational exposures, blood transfusions (which is rare in the U.S.). This does not include coming into contact with blood when helping a stranger.

3) Mother-to-infant: either through delivery or during breast feeding

Since the potentially HIV infected fluid (blood) came into contact with your skin (not a mucous membrane) then transmission can't occur. Zits are not a route of transmission.

Clearly it is advisable that people avoid coming into contact with blood when someone of unknown or positive status is bleeding. However, transmission is only possible if the blood were to have access to your immune system.

RMK

Oral from a Girl to Guy
Very Scared