The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

variant strain testing, where???

Dec 26, 2000

I have asked and asked here and other places. No one will help me. I won't go into all the details again except that I have had MANY symptoms, the scariest of which is thrush with no apparent explanation(been to Dr., treament didn't help, most possible causes explored).Tested neg for hiv-1/2 at 6mo. I NEED to be tested for the variant strains of hiv if I am to have a normal life again(provided, God willing they're neg.) PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN HAVE THESE TESTS DONE!!! I AM AT MY WITS END!!! Thank You.

Response from Mr. Kull

Getting any type of HIV test that involves more than the routine HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody tests should be done through your doctor. The HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody tests have been fine tuned over time to detect antibodies to multiple strains and groups of virus. Please see my recent response to Rare strains of HIV into perspective for more information on testing for HIV antibodies to multiple types, subtypes and groups of HIV.

Oral Candidiasis, or thrush, does not only occur to people with HIV. Anyone who is immunocompromised is at risk for thrush. Other factors may cause oral candidiasis -- steroid inhalers, multiple antibiotic treatments, or as a post-surgical symptom -- but it also may not be possible to identify the exact cause. This does not mean you have HIV.

Good luck.


STD Transmission...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint