Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Inconsistencies with testing kits
Dec 28, 2000

Ryan

I have asked you this question in the past but unfortunately you have not been able to answer it as you are very busy. I had an brief oral encounter (giving, lasting one minute) with a female who had did not previously know about 5 months ago ( I had not visible cuts etc). I have carried out home tests (free flow) several times which are not FDA approved (as the FDA is not available in the UK) and have got inconsistent results ie all were negative except the penultimate one which came up with a line in the positive area but when I added a couple more drops diluent it went negative, minutes later I performed another test and is was clearly negative. I also donate blood and have done for the past 2 years. I am aware of the testing procedure of donors blood in the US is this the same in the UK? The last time I gave blood was 4 months after the exposure and have not had a contact from the hospital. Can I assume I am negative or should I take seriously this home test even though all others suggest I am ok. I would appreciate a response as this has freaked me out for months.

Response from Mr. Kull

I am not aware of the blood testing protocols for donated blood in the UK, but I am sure that they would be rather rigorous. I cannot tell you the accuracy of any home testing kits that are sold over the internet since there has been several cases of fraud over the years (I only know that the Home Access testing kit is accurate and reliable). Please see my response to Home Tests for more information on this.

Is there a reason why you are not getting antibody tested through a doctor or other venue? You are at low-risk for infection and getting a reliable antibody test would save you a lot of time and money.

RMK

Previous
can hiv be transmitted through nipples?
Next
Nobody talks about the clitoris...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.