Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I got gonorrhea. I'm worried I got HIV too???
Jan 2, 2001

This guy and I did a few things: he gave me oral sex without a condom, I gave him oral sex without a condom, he rimmed me (without a condom). Also, more dangerously, he sat down on my penis without a condom (I was the "top"). This lasted about 5 seconds before I withdrew. Then a few minutes later, we had anal sex where I was the "top" - I wore a condom, but we put body lotion all over it. (The condom looked fine and without any rips when I took it off). Now I'm worried about the oral sex & him sitting down on my penis without a condom. I found out I got gonorrhea from him (had to go thru the treatment.) I'm just worried that where there's one STD present (gonorrhea), maybe there was another one too? (HIV)?? I am quite worried and would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Kull

I am not sure what specific advice you are looking for, but I do understand your concern. Getting a sexually transmitted infection can be disconcerting and often leads to doubts about your partner's history and status. It's normal for you to be anxious about this, but remember that it is also problematic to start making assumptions about your partner based on what happened to you or what he did. If you know how to contact this person, talking might prove to be a remedy. You could also let him know that you think that your got an STI from him (he may not even know since it's possible that he doesn't have any symptoms). Maybe the conversation would be enlightening in many respects.

Using body lotion for lubricant is not recommended because oils in the lotion could cause microscopic tears that are not visible. It's great that you wound up using a condom, because a condom with body lotion is better than no condom at all. Maybe next time you could forgo anal sex when you are not properly prepared and be more creative with how you get off while being safer. Your risk for HIV infection through oral sex is low.

Try to take this as another experience (that so many people go through) in the profound complexities of sex. Get HIV tested after three months have elapsed and try to be easy on yourself.

RMK

Previous
Is there any special condition that can interfere with a accurate test result?
Next
Rimming Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.