The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Testing and Symptoms

Jan 10, 2001

I am a male and received unprotected oral sex from a female sex worker. A Home Access test at 11 weeks was negative. However, I'm worried about symptoms involving a rapid onset of throat dryness and newly discovered white coating on the tongue. These seem like symptoms of a possible yeast infection...does the negative test result rule out these as possible HIV symptoms since they occurred 1 week to 10 days prior?

Also, I've noticed a "red patch" about 1-ince long and 1/2-inch wide on my face that seems to be a little bit under the skin but a little noticeable. It has been more and more noticeable since beginning 1 to 1 1/2 weeks and I'm worried that it will soon turn into a very noticeable rash...are rashes occuring as a possible symptom to HIV infection slow to occur?

Response from Mr. Kull

Symptoms occuring during primary HIV infection, otherwise known as acute retroviral syndrome, are tricky to diagnose, even for a medical professional. The bottom line is, there is no single answer to your question. It is possible to have symptoms related to primary HIV infection and still have a negative antibody test result. It's also possible to have no symptoms during seroconversion or to have atypical symptom presentation. The best way to rule out any uncertainty is to have an antibody test at least three months after your exposure and to direct any questions about symptoms to a medical doctor, IN PERSON.


Completely out of my mind

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint