The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abnormal Pap smear after 10 months of sex

Jan 10, 2001

My fiance recently had a pap smear(Dec. 2000) and about a month later, received a letter from the health department stating that abnormal cells were detected. She is only my second sexual partner and she and I have had both protected and unprotected sex. When she went in to take the pap smear, it was also shown that she had a yeast infection. It was treated and it cleared up. About my first partner, we had unprotected sex but we only slept together three times. I came to find out after we broke up that she was a very promiscuous person. I have never been tested for HIV. At the same time, I have shown no symptoms with the exception of a small rash on the arm. It went away. My fiance was notified that she needed to come back in for a second pap smear due to abnormal cells being found. Also, she told me that she was spotting and still having a discharge. What do the abnormal cells and the spotting and discharge indicate. A response will be greatly appreciated

Response from Mr. Kull

I cannot tell you the cause for your fiance's symptoms. There could be several things causing them, and only a doctor should be diagnosing her condition. Talk to your partner about your concerns, and maybe you both could talk with her doctor if it is necessary and she consents to it.

In the meantime, if you have sexual contact with your partner, you should use latex barriers.


vaginal fluids on hands?
Completely out of my mind

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint