Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

possible mode of transmission
Jan 17, 2001

I feel embarrassed and I apologize for asking such a borderline ignorant question but it's a necessity at this point because I am driving myself crazy. Please just clarify for me one more time if there is any possible way of transmission in the following scenario. I cut my finger badly, and the stitches re-opened one night. I went into my roommates bathroom and used a towel to stop the bleeding. As I was doing this I noticed some older blood on the towel. This being said, I confronted him after and he said he cut himself shaving 12+hours ago. There is no reason for me to think he is HIV positive. If I hadn't been studying HIV and if I hadn't got sick about 6 weeks later I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But, if it was the absolute worst case scenario and I swiped my cut finger with a droplet of his old blood and he was HIV positive, after 15 or so hours on that little blood, is it possible that HIV could have survived?

Response from Mr. Kull

It's unlikely that you would have been infected by blood left on a towel. Besides the fact that it is unlikely that your friend is HIV infected, HIV does not remain viable (infectious) when exposed to the environment for very long. Please read through How long does HIV survive outside the body? for more information on this topic.

If we're talking worst case scenario, then yes, it is possible. But worst case scenarios rarely happen and there is no evidence that people have been infected with HIV this way.

RMK

Previous
Texas Again
Next
HELP I NEED A ANSWER I AM SCARED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.