Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV ,BROKEN CONDOM & DETERGENTSOLUTION
Feb 1, 2002

Dear Mr. RMK,

Two years back I had sex with a call girl. I had put on a condom but unfotunately it broke during the intercourse. I could find it only after the withdrawl. I found the head of my penis was open.Probably the condom broke during the last 30-40 seconds.I got extreamly scared and rushed to the bath room. I washed my penis with a strong detergent solution after rinsing it for 5 minutes. Since then I have been thinking of gong for HIV test, but was unable because I am very scarred. About 3 weeks back I was feeling extreamly exahusted and had muscle cramps. Also during these 2 years I have developed asthma. Can these be the symptom of HIV? Plese tell me what to do. reagrds, K.P.

Response from Mr. Kull

Having a condom breakage happen to you can be an upsetting experience. It is important to remember that, according to the CDC, the majority of condom breaks do not result in HIV infection. The lack of condom use is more likely to be a factor in transmission.

Do not wash your genitals with harsh detergents after an exposure to your partner's fluids. If you need to wash, regular soap and warm water would be fine. Using any chemicals or detergents in your genital region can irritate the mucous membranes, and possibly increase your risk for infections. There is no evidence that washing your genitals after exposure to fluids decreases your risk for infetion.

The odds of transmission in one episode of UNPROTECTED vaginal sex with an infected partner are much lower than many people think. Figures for the risk of infection per episode of unprotected insertive vaginal sex with an HIV infected person are generally estimated to be less than 1%. (see "Recent Study of Per Contact Risk" http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q13167.qna). If your partner was infected, your partner's viral load is likely to have an effect on transmission. The mucuous membranes of your penis being exposed to her menstrual blood may increase your risk for infection and oher factors, such as your immune response, will play a role in this as well.

Since you were possibly exposed to fluids and your partner was of unknown risk, testing is advisable at least three months after your exposure.

Asthma is not a symptom that is associated with HIV infection.

RMK

Previous
Curiosity
Next
Going mental, please help!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.