HIV ,BROKEN CONDOM & DETERGENTSOLUTION

Dear Mr. RMK,

Two years back I had sex with a call girl. I had put on a condom but unfotunately it broke during the intercourse. I could find it only after the withdrawl. I found the head of my penis was open.Probably the condom broke during the last 30-40 seconds.I got extreamly scared and rushed to the bath room. I washed my penis with a strong detergent solution after rinsing it for 5 minutes. Since then I have been thinking of gong for HIV test, but was unable because I am very scarred. About 3 weeks back I was feeling extreamly exahusted and had muscle cramps. Also during these 2 years I have developed asthma. Can these be the symptom of HIV? Plese tell me what to do. reagrds, K.P.

Having a condom breakage happen to you can be an upsetting experience. It is important to remember that, according to the CDC, the majority of condom breaks do not result in HIV infection. The lack of condom use is more likely to be a factor in transmission.

Do not wash your genitals with harsh detergents after an exposure to your partner's fluids. If you need to wash, regular soap and warm water would be fine. Using any chemicals or detergents in your genital region can irritate the mucous membranes, and possibly increase your risk for infections. There is no evidence that washing your genitals after exposure to fluids decreases your risk for infetion.

The odds of transmission in one episode of UNPROTECTED vaginal sex with an infected partner are much lower than many people think. Figures for the risk of infection per episode of unprotected insertive vaginal sex with an HIV infected person are generally estimated to be less than 1%. (see "Recent Study of Per Contact Risk" http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q13167.qna). If your partner was infected, your partner's viral load is likely to have an effect on transmission. The mucuous membranes of your penis being exposed to her menstrual blood may increase your risk for infection and oher factors, such as your immune response, will play a role in this as well.

Since you were possibly exposed to fluids and your partner was of unknown risk, testing is advisable at least three months after your exposure.

Asthma is not a symptom that is associated with HIV infection.

RMK

Curiosity
Going mental, please help!