Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I feel like a lab rat>>>>>>>>
Jan 28, 2002

Dr. Kull: I posted a question on January 15, 2001 "To Much Testing?" concerning the HIV tests at 6, 9, 11, & 12 weeks, I took another at 14 weeks, all negative. I had a full panel done on my blood work twice, both times one liver enzyme, and my calcium is elevated. I feel as though it is HIV and my doctor says no. I have had every symptom in the book for HIV, and it still shows negative. I showed him my tongue, he says that nothing. I showed him the red bumps on my chest, he said that was not a sign. I told him my joints were sore (legs, groin) he did not know why. I feel as though I am probably one of those "rare cases". Recently I was sent for a CT scan that did not reveal anything, and the doctor took more blood to check my vitamin D. What can I possibly do now? I was thinking on flying to NY to meet with you, as everyone around here think I am nuts.

Response from Mr. Kull

Don't get on the airplane! You're HIV negative. That means that your symptoms are not related to HIV.

Instead of going to your doctor, think about trying a different approach. Believing that you have HIV, when the medical evidence says otherwise, may suggest that a psychological perspective on your problems could be productive. This does not negate the fact that you are uncomfortable; it just may be more useful in terms of alleviating your symptoms.

So, instead of seeing your physician next time you get the urge, consider seeing a psychiatrist, just to get another opinion.

RMK

Previous
Poz-to-Poz Reinfection?
Next
Difference between ARS and AVS?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.