Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

baby oil with aloe for oral sex
Jan 27, 2002

Dear Dr Kull, Thank you very much for this site. As a gay guy, I have benefitted a lot from your medical advice. I have some questions for you.

1) About one year ago, I met a guy. At first, we were planning just to caress and maturbate. So we put a lot of baby oil (containing aloe) on his penis. Then I became reckless and put his penis in my month. I sucked on that for 10-20 seconds. Then I stopped and maturbated him and caressed him again. Then, minutes later, I put his penis in my mouth again and sucked for 10-20 seconds again. I did the same thing on and off 4-5 times, with each time lasting for 10-20 seconds. He did NOT come in my month and I oberved no pre-cum from him. I also oberved no cuts or sores in my month on that evening after the incident. How risky was that? Did the baby-oil with aloe kill the virus? This event is the most crazy thing I have ever done.

2) In addition, I have also fooled around with other guys. But I have NEVER had anal sex or oral sex. All I did with them was mutual masturbation, caressing and in some cases, kissing. Some of the guys did cum and some did not cum. In most cases, I made sure that their cums did not come into contact with my body other than my hand, and I always made sure I had no cut on my hand. Also, I cleaned my hand right afterward. But in one incide, a guy had cum on my pubic hair. We did ripe his cums off before he maturbated me. But I am a bit worrried: how likely is that his cums would drip into the tip of my penis by accident and became infectious??

3) If I have never had anal sex in my life and had only one oral sex experience (as described above) how much risk have I exposed myself? AM I a reckless person?

Response from Mr. Kull

Let's first talk about your risk for infection by performing oral sex on a guy. If he does not have HIV, then there is no possibility of transmission. If he is infected with HIV, there is the possibility of transmission to you, but the risk of transmission is much lower when compared to unprotected anal sex. There have been cases of transmission through receptive fellatio; most of those cases involved contact with semen or pre-semen. Reducing the amount of semen that comes into contact with your mouth, especially if you have any problems with oral health, or there are active STDs on his penis or in your mouth, will reduce your risk for infection. Putting a condom on your partner's penis for oral sex practically eliminates the risk of transmission, but many people have difficulty with that.

Your risk for infection by putting a man's penis in your mouth for a short time with no ejaculation is very low. The oil on his penis will neither increase nor decrease your risk for infection in this case.

It's not my place to tell you if what you did was reckless. There is no place for judgements like that in this forum: what is relevant here is what the risk is for transmission and how to reduce that risk. It sounds like you've done a great job at reducing your risk for infection, and the episode you describe does not demonstrate a substantial change in risk. It will be important for you to find ways to be sexual with men and enjoy it, without sacrificing too much pleasure. If sex is making you anxious, consider talking with a counselor about your experiences.

Read through the info on "Oral Sex" at The Body for more info (http://www.thebody.com/safesex/oralsex.html).

RMK

Previous
Oro-anal intercourse
Next
symptoms of hiv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.