Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

burning, tingling skin
Jan 24, 2002

Hi, thanks for taking my question. About eleven weeks ago, I engaged in vaginal intercourse with a sex worker. I used a condom, however it broke at some point and we stopped when we found out. At six weeks I developed a soar throat that lasted for two weeks. At seven weeks, I took a prliminary hiv test that came back negative. At ten weeks, I developed a condition where my skin getts a burning tingling sensation when any kind of light to moderate pressure is applied to it. I feel it mostly in my hands and feet because they come into contact with more things, however I feel that the rest of my skin is also more sensative. Something as simple as making a sandwich will leave my hands tingling and anything heavier duty will leave them burning and sometimes a raised red surface for five to ten minutes. Could this in anyway be a symptom of early hiv infection. I know that most symptoms if they show at all happen within the first six weeks, but if my body hadn't started fighting the hiv until now, that would explain the negative seven week test and the new symptoms. Please answer because I'm driving myself crazy. Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

Condom breakage happens, and when it does, it can lead to anxiety and confusion. Fortunately, the majority of condom breaks DO NOT lead to HIV infection (according to the CDC). Your risk for infection will really depend on whether or not fluids could have come into contact with the tip of your penis. Unfortunately, that's often hard or impossible to figure out.

Many people who have experiences like yours decide to get tested for HIV antibodies after three months have elapsed as a precaution. One exposure through a condom break does not comprise a significant risk, but infection is possible. Trying to determine whether or not you've been infected based on the symptoms you are experiencing is sort of useless in your case.

See my response to "Condom Failure" for more information on condoms and breakage (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q2944.qna).

RMK

Previous
another nervous person
Next
Oro-anal intercourse

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.