Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sex with prostitutes - concerned!!
Oct 9, 2000

Hi Ryan, First and foremost, keep up the great work - the level of detail that your go into in your responses is greatly appreciated!! I have a tremendous amount of anxiety about the following issue/question: 1) In response to "using a condom..but" (dated 9/20/00) you state that there are many myths/misconceptions about sex with prostitutes -- can you please go into a little more detail regarding these myths and misconceptions?

Response from Mr. Kull

The word "prostitute" often conjures up negative, stereotypical images that cannot be applied to a whole group of people (whom I'll call sex workers from now on). Sex workers vary in gender, socioeconomic background, race, education, sexual orientation, as do their individual behaviors and personalities. There are many sex workers with whom I've talked who actually use condoms very consistently for most, if not all, sexual activity (I'm referring to oral sex). Additionally, sex workers in certain studies had lower rates of condom failure than the general population. While there is an increased risk of sex workers coming into contact with STDs, this information would suggest that many sex workers can and do protect themselves.

From working on this forum, I've observed an interesting pattern. People frequently report low-risk sex with "prostitutes" and express inappropriately high levels of anxiety. I think the disease anxiety and guilt people experience after a safe encounter with a sex worker has more to do with unconsciously associating sex workers to disease than with the actual risks involved. The mind can really deceive us into thinking that we are at high risk when we are really not, and vice versa.

A condom used correctly with a sex worker provides the same protection that it would when used with a non-sex worker. The person's trade does not reduce the condom's effectiveness.

RMK

Previous
Is this test the only way?
Next
help me??Please..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.