I pray that you will answer

I apologize if I am taking up space on this board intended for those that have been already diagnosed. It is just that I really do not have anyone I can talk to. I had a potential exposure 4 ½ years ago. I began testing 2 years later, when I got engaged. I had no symptoms whatsoever up until that point. Then, I became obsessed with the thought of infection. The symptoms started: joint pain, vaginal infections, sore throats, muscle pain, dizziness… They lasted for several months and went away, thank goodness. 1 year later, they are back and I am scared. I am starting to think about HIV again. To date, I have had 7 antibody tests, 2 p24 antigen tests, and 1 PCR DNA test. Do you have any advice as to what I should do? Doctors just brush off these symptoms and say they are stress-related. I want to believe my tests. I am married now, and I want to be sure I am not putting my husband at risk. If the symptoms had been hiv-related, would they have just gone away on their own? I hope that you will respond as you are my last resort. Thank you so much!

It sounds like you are treating your underlying anxiety with repeated HIV testing and the anxiety is not going away. I would suggest that you discontinue HIV testing, try to accept the fact that you are HIV negative, and deal with the anxiety in another way. If the doctors suggest that your symptoms are stress-related, I would advise you to treat the stress.

Please refer to my responses to Not-So-Risky-Business and Need your opinion for more information on anxiety.

RMK

Herpes testing
embarrassed, yet concerned