The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gay Safe Sex Question

Oct 16, 2000

Dear Doc,

I am a bi male been practicing safer sex after a negative HIv.

Is it safe to allow another male to cum on/around my genital area(penis and testicles)? What is the risk of HIV transmission? With no unprotected penetrative sex all these years, I was once infected with gonorrhea? Been treated and well now. Do you think I have HIV and should get tested?

Response from Mr. Kull

If infected fluids -- like semen or "cum"-- come into contact with mucous membranes -- like the inside of your penis (urethra) or anus -- then there is a chance for HIV and other STD transmission. The exterior of your penis and testicles is all covered by skin. HIV cannot be transmitted through intact skin (no cuts or sores). If you use another man's semen as a lubricant for masturbation or sex, you are potentially exposing your urethra to infection. Be careful with that.

Gonorrhea is different than HIV. First of all, it is bacteria, not virus. It also seems easier to transmit than HIV, and can be transmitted differently. For instance, a person can get a gonococcal infection in their throat and potentially transmit it to your urethra by performing oral sex on you. HIV does not seem to be transmitted by receiving oral sex. If you have been practicing safer sex, then it is unlikely that you are HIV infected.

It is generally recommended that someone should get an HIV test after having an STD. Of course, that decision is up to you.


herpes and hiv
Very worried.Pls advice.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint