ANY ADVICE??

Hello doc,

am pos for about 3 years now and just found somebody who is also pos, and we are planning to marry. but the problem is: i have warts which sometimes break off, and she told me she has cervical cancer also. now she is afraid of getting my warts, and am afraid of getting her cancer, what can we do to avoid such transmission? we were intending to practise unsafe sex as we are all pos, will this affect us?

please doc,help us.

Yeah, this is a tough one. Let me start off by saying that you won't "get" her cancer. Cancer, like AIDS, isn't something you catch. Mutations in cells cause cancers and HIV causes AIDS. It is possible that HPV/genital warts in women can lead to cervical cancer, and warts in the anus/rectum can lead to anal/rectal cancers. HIV positive people may be more prone to outbreaks of warts and cervical/anal cancers. It's important to have warts treated in the anus and vagina so that you decrease the chances of developing cancerous cells.

It is not totally clear if condoms actually prevent the transmission of human papillomavirus (HPV), the virus that causes genital warts. Condoms can definitely help, and you should try to use them to prevent more severe and frequent outbreaks of warts. Getting the warts treated when they appear should decrease the likelihood of transmitting them to your partner, but it does not eliminate the possibility of transmission.

I strongly suggest that you both talk to an HIV specialist about your specific circumstances to get as much information as possible.

RMK

Is she pregnant
expert opinion