Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Protected Sex with an incidence of vaginal bleeding
Oct 31, 2000

I am male 30 and healthy. I was involved in casual protected (condom) heterosexual sex with a partner of unknown HIV status. During intercourse she started bleeding from her vagina. This was supposedly a week after her last period. We immediately discontinued intercourse and I removed the condom and cleaned my penis with soap, water and then a 45% alcohol solution to remove traces of blood. I rechecked and my skin was unbroken and healthy. If my partner was HIV positive is there a high likelihood of my being infected?

Response from Mr. Kull

Unless the blood came into contact with any mucous membranes (the lining of your urethra, anus, or mouth), then I would say that you were not at risk for infection. A condom without any breaks or tears is an effective barrier to HIV.

RMK

Previous
Scared to death!
Next
Safer Sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.