STD Prevention and Safer Sex

We are a group of ohio University students participating in a communications project to inform college students about the risk of std infection and the availability of condoms/safer sex. we are also looking for some statistics on STD infection among college students, whether it is increasing or decreasing, and the types of programs offered at other universities. do you have any helpful information. Also i would like some statistics on the increase or decrease of sales of condoms within health clinics and pharmacies around college area. do you know where we can find that info or do you know it. any help would be appreciated. thank you

This is an area of interest for me since I provide sexual health and sexuality educational and clinical services for the Columbia University campus. However, the information you seek is not easy to summarize, nor is there one model for approaching sexual health an behavior on campuses.

There are many studies about college health, especially around sexual behavior and STDs among college/university students. Populations in colleges and universities around the country vary to great degrees in terms of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic class, educational background, sexual orientation, gender distribution, and age ranges. Statistics about college student behavior and risk might also vary in terms of the location of the college (urban vs. rural) and the nature of student life (do students live on or off campus). All of these variables make it difficult to generalize about "college student" behavior. It might be more helpful for you to look at studies that examine populations similar to the ones you are trying to reach in order to tailor your efforts appropriately.

Here's my recommendation. Go to the American College Health Association's website and look through the publications and information they have about college health, STDs, and outreach programs. Another great tool available through ACHA is their Student Health Service Discussion Group. If you subscribe to that you can post your requests for information and are guaranteed to get some great responses from college health groups around the nation. ACHA has been a great tool for me in my research.

RMK

Possible gonorrhea infection
Transmission of hiv subtype o