Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STD Prevention and Safer Sex
Nov 2, 2000

We are a group of ohio University students participating in a communications project to inform college students about the risk of std infection and the availability of condoms/safer sex. we are also looking for some statistics on STD infection among college students, whether it is increasing or decreasing, and the types of programs offered at other universities. do you have any helpful information. Also i would like some statistics on the increase or decrease of sales of condoms within health clinics and pharmacies around college area. do you know where we can find that info or do you know it. any help would be appreciated. thank you

Response from Mr. Kull

This is an area of interest for me since I provide sexual health and sexuality educational and clinical services for the Columbia University campus. However, the information you seek is not easy to summarize, nor is there one model for approaching sexual health an behavior on campuses.

There are many studies about college health, especially around sexual behavior and STDs among college/university students. Populations in colleges and universities around the country vary to great degrees in terms of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic class, educational background, sexual orientation, gender distribution, and age ranges. Statistics about college student behavior and risk might also vary in terms of the location of the college (urban vs. rural) and the nature of student life (do students live on or off campus). All of these variables make it difficult to generalize about "college student" behavior. It might be more helpful for you to look at studies that examine populations similar to the ones you are trying to reach in order to tailor your efforts appropriately.

Here's my recommendation. Go to the American College Health Association's website and look through the publications and information they have about college health, STDs, and outreach programs. Another great tool available through ACHA is their Student Health Service Discussion Group. If you subscribe to that you can post your requests for information and are guaranteed to get some great responses from college health groups around the nation. ACHA has been a great tool for me in my research.

Good luck.

RMK

Previous
Possible gonorrhea infection
Next
Transmission of hiv subtype o

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.