Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rapid onset of HIV symptoms after unprotected oral sex
Nov 9, 2000

I recently briefly performed unprotected oral sex on an

(anonymous) man. I briefly placed my mouth over his penis (30 seconds). There was no ejaculate but probably some pre-ejaculate fluid. I had a mild sore throat at the time. Coming to my "senses" I withdrew and gave him a condom and then continued performing oral sex. Less than 24 hours later, I began to experience almost constant high fever. Is it possible to sero-convert this quickly? The fever lasted for several days and the sore throat intensified as well. (I have come across many admonishments to avoid oral sex if you have open sores in the mouth, bleeding gums, etc. but the mention of sore throat being an additional risk factor

is much less common. Just advice for those giving advice;

if sore throat is included among warnings about open sores, bleeding gums, etc. - please say so!)

I am nearly scared to death and near a nervous breakdown.

How worried should I be?

Response from Mr. Kull

I would like to tell you that you shouldn't be worried at all, but I'm not sure that would help. It seems highly unlikely that you would have been HIV infected in these circumstances. Studies on seroconversion symptoms suggest that it takes a minimum of two weeks to develop symptoms. It is unlikely that you would develop symptoms within 24 hours. It sounds like you were in the process of getting sick anyway!

I do not recommend that people engage in oral sex with a sore throat because any irritation or inflammation of mucosal membrane might increase the risk of transmission.

RMK

Previous
Feeling guilty and Scared to Death
Next
your response to

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.