Rapid onset of HIV symptoms after unprotected oral sex

I recently briefly performed unprotected oral sex on an

(anonymous) man. I briefly placed my mouth over his penis (30 seconds). There was no ejaculate but probably some pre-ejaculate fluid. I had a mild sore throat at the time. Coming to my "senses" I withdrew and gave him a condom and then continued performing oral sex. Less than 24 hours later, I began to experience almost constant high fever. Is it possible to sero-convert this quickly? The fever lasted for several days and the sore throat intensified as well. (I have come across many admonishments to avoid oral sex if you have open sores in the mouth, bleeding gums, etc. but the mention of sore throat being an additional risk factor

is much less common. Just advice for those giving advice;

if sore throat is included among warnings about open sores, bleeding gums, etc. - please say so!)

I am nearly scared to death and near a nervous breakdown.

How worried should I be?

I would like to tell you that you shouldn't be worried at all, but I'm not sure that would help. It seems highly unlikely that you would have been HIV infected in these circumstances. Studies on seroconversion symptoms suggest that it takes a minimum of two weeks to develop symptoms. It is unlikely that you would develop symptoms within 24 hours. It sounds like you were in the process of getting sick anyway!

I do not recommend that people engage in oral sex with a sore throat because any irritation or inflammation of mucosal membrane might increase the risk of transmission.

RMK

Feeling guilty and Scared to Death
your response to