Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

high risk for hiv?
Nov 17, 2000

I am a 34 year old female who has had 4 sexual partners (since age 21). This includes my fiancee and boyfriend of 4 years. We have both been tested (negative) and have been in a monogamous relationship. My previous partner I know was negative. The 2 prior to that were in '89 and '92. Despite negative test results I am anxious. My risks have included only possible exposure to pre-cum (I don't think I knew that this was risky when I was younger and have always thought that I was being cautious). Does exposure to pre-cum pose a significant risk, and could I still have HIV even though I have tested negative? Clearly I would benefit from some counseling, but maybe knowing the facts and getting some perspective would also help me. I have thought everything from my test being a false negative, to a mixup of blood samples, to thinking that I have a rare form of HIV (such as HIV 2 or 0) or an odd subtype of HIV 1 that is not detected by conventional tests. I began to investigate "rare" forms of HIV I suppose because my fiancee is from Egypt and I had heard of different strains being endemic to certain parts of Africa. Any insight you can offer into this dilemma would be welcome. I am miserable and sometimes cannot even function. I should add that I have these thoughts even though I am a licensed health professional. Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Mr. Kull

I think the anxiety you experience about HIV infection is quite common, especially among people who visit this website. Please refer to my response to Undetectable Strain...Please Help for more information on strains of HIV and anxiety.

Exposure to pre-cum is generally low-risk, but within that low-risk category there will be some variation depending on what part of your body came into contact with the pre-cum. It is also extremely unlikely that you were infected with a strain that went undetected by your tests. All of the circumstances that you imagine contributed to a false negative result are so unlikely to have actually happened. Beyond that, there is little I can do to convince you that you are very likely to be HIV negative. I suggest that you seek out some other form of help if you find the anxiety to be unmanageable.

RMK

Previous
abnormal Pap smear #3
Next
grinding and abrasion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.