Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

abnormal Pap smear #3
Nov 17, 2000

Dear Doctor, thank you for reading my question. I have asked many before and am waiting for an answer. I am 20, tested negative at 5 months. I had a pap done in sept and it was abnormal. I just got my follow up results today, and now I have class III abnormalities. I am scared to death and have to go in for LEEP and another procedure. Please help because I have gone a little mental and my parents are flying out to help me in college. I read on msn.com that one of the reasons for an abnormal pap is HIV infection. When I asked the docs they said that they are not related. Are they? Please tell me they are not, because now I am already facing future cancer. I also have something weird under my armpits, which the docs can not figure out, no rash or swollen nodes. They ache at times amd my skin feels like pins and needles. Please help me, I am losing my life out here alone. 5 months is good, even with a rapid ER test? Thank you for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it.

Response from Mr. Kull

All I can say is that a negative result at five months is a highly reliable result. I would also encourage you to trust your doctors opinions. It is unlikely that a recent HIV infection would cause an abnormal pap.

RMK

Previous
testing window question - need clarification
Next
high risk for hiv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.