Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

spent $1,000 dollars on tests-Am I OK
Nov 21, 2000

I recieved protected (with a condom) oral sex from a female sex worker in the UK this was my first time. It has been 2 months now and I am petrified that I might have caught HIV. I tested at 30 days with 3 types of antibody tests (elisa, cambridge capiluary and western blot) all negative. I also did a PCR test which was negative. My anxiety grew and now i can't sleep I repeated all the tests inclding the PCR at 40days from the incident all were negative again. I am very worried and avoiding any sexual contact with my wife because of what I did. The Doctor told me he is 100% sure I was not infected. Can he be? PLEASE HELP!!!! I have spent over 1,000 pounds on the tests and I am still not convinced.

Response from Mr. Kull

I agree with your doctor in that it is incredibly unlikely that you are HIV infected. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that my two cents are not going to decrease your anxiety -- or your bill -- that much. Your difficulty in believing the tests and your doctor combined with the amount of money you have spent strongly indicates that your anxiety may be disrupting your life.

I'd like to suggest a solution that may be more productive than HIV testing: channel your funds towards finding some help with your anxiety. Read through Need your opinion for more information on anxiety.

RMK

Previous
Unprotected Anal Sex
Next
HIV positive antibodies in animals

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.