Saran Wrap

Many resources suggest that saran wrap is a good idea to use as protection during oral/vaginal or oral/anal sex, but I have never seen any studies that document that plastic wrap prevents transmission of STIs. So...how do we know if it works? I teach sex ed to people and I don't want to give inaccurate information. Thanks

I am not aware of any studies that have examined the effectiveness of plastic/Saran wrap in preventing the transmission of HIV when used during oral-genital contact. The CDC states that the FDA has not evaluated or approved ANY barrier methods for oral sex.

A latex condom does serve as an effective barrier to HIV in laboratory studies. So we can assume that latex used during oral-genital would be effective. Most safer sex organizations, including the CDC, say that plastic wrap can be used (it doesn't make a difference if it is microwaveable!) for oral-genital contact because it would minimize the amount of fluids coming into contact with the mouth.

You can present the plastic wrap information to students with this caveat: plastic wrap probably works, is better than not using a barrier at all, and has not been evaluated or approved by the FDA. Give them the whole story, which can empower them to make their own decisions.

RMK

Contraception Queries
HIV stability