HIV by Mosquito

Dear Doctor,

One night I went camping with my friends and one of them was positive..later in the night a mosquito sat on my arm and I crushed it and for surely this mosquito must have bitten one of us.. Could I get HIV and is it true that mosquito who has previously sucked blood infected with HIV can transmit it to the next host when it bites? Please help I am worried as I have a wife and two kids.

HIV is not transmitted by mosquitoes for several reasons. See my response to "Mosquitoes" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionNon/Q9724.qna) for more info.

In terms of coming into contact with blood inside of the mosquito, there is no concern. HIV does not survive or reproduce in an insect's body.

RMK

Oral sex on HIV+ man
Possible HIV infection when fingering with dematitis?