The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

which is ok if any?

Jan 15, 2002

Dear Ryan

assuming no protection is worn is it better to recieve oral sex from a woman(i am male) or to perform oral sex on a woman ( no menstrual blood). I have done both in past and do not know if I should continue and assume I am not at risk for hiv. Do I need to be tested if this is all I have done? I do get viral infections so I am guessing that one could have been ars instead of the flu. I could really use the opinion of somone in the field as that I doubt my doctor has any experience with hiv.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your risk for infection with HIV from receiving oral sex is practically negligible. The most important thing to remember is that there is no evidence that saliva transmits HIV. The saliva of infected people contains little to no virus, and the virus that is found in saliva is often inactive (not infectious). Studies have found that a protein in saliva inactivates HIV (up to 90% of virus was inactivated in one test tube study) and other factors that may contribute to the noninfectious quality of saliva. This is why transmission through kissing or receiving oral sex doesn't seem to occur.

Performing oral sex on a woman also poses very little risk for transmission. There are only a few documented cases of this happening. See "Oral Sex (cunnilingus)" (


Condom broke.Chance of infection?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint