The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To Much Testing?

Jan 15, 2002

Dr. Kull: I have been going crazy for the last 3.5 months. I made a mistake one night with a female sex worker and the condom broke. I tested for STD's, all negative, and for HIV at 6, 9, 11, & 12 Weeks, all came back negative. My only problem is I have every symptom you could imagine, sore joints, blisters in mouth, and extreme lethargy. This mistake has ruled my life, and my doctor thinks I am crazy. I am going to see a psycologist tomorrow. What I would like to know is what are my chances at this point?

Response from Mr. Kull

A negative test at twelve weeks (which is about three months) means that you are not infected with HIV. You've had plenty of HIV tests and do not need to perform any further testing. If your doctor does not believe that your symptoms are related to HIV infection and your HIV tests are negative, then HIV is not the cause of your symptoms.

Using the term "crazy" probably does not accurately describe what's going on with you. It sounds like you are anxious, and it may be more useful to look at the cause and symptoms of your anxiety and the best ways to treat it. It's great that you are going to see a psychologist; that may be an important step in dealing with the complicated feelings that you are having.


Is HIV consider a viral infection
Condom broke.Chance of infection?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint