Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insertive Fellatio VS Kissing
Jan 11, 2002

Dear Ryan, I from Singapore. I only have two questions to ask: 1)Is it conclusive enought to have blood test exactly 5 months after the exposure?

2)Is Insertive fellatio and Kissing facing the same risk? Because, Mouth and Penis considered as Mucus Membranes,right? If that female sex worker has blood in her mouth, so, can HIV still transmit through Kissing or "insertive fellatio" to that guy? sorry, my English is not good,but hope you understand what I mean and hope to get your reply soonly. Regards

Response from Mr. Kull

1) HIV antibody testing at five months following exposure is about as accurate as you can get.

2) You're right: during insertive fellatio and kissing, your mucous membranes are exposed to saliva, which is not a fluid that transmits HIV. HIV coming into contact with the mouth and the genitals are two different events (the mucous membranes of the mouth and the genitals are not exactly the same), but still, saliva does not transmit HIV.

During kissing and insertive fellatio, there is a general assumption that you are not coming into contact with blood. If you come into contact with blood as opposed to saliva, your risk for infection changes.

RMK

Previous
Insertive Vaginal Sex - Did you say 1 in 500 with infected partner
Next
Comment and anxiety

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.