Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral Sex and Lambskin Condom
Jan 10, 2002

Hi Ryan

What are my chances of getting HIV by receiving oral (I am a male)from a girl whose mouth was bleeding and the condom used was a lmabskin one. I saw blood on the condom when I withdrew from her mouth. This has me worried. Thanks.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your risk for infection with HIV from receiving oral sex without a condom is practically negligible. See http://thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q99072.qna. If your partner was infected, having blood come into contact with your mucous membranes poses a risk for infection, but the lambskin condom would have minimized that contact. Lambskin condoms are not ideal for disease prevention, but we can assume that the lambskin condom was better than no condom at all.

Some laboratory studies have shown that viruses, like HIV, hepatitis, and herpes, can pass through pores in natural membrane condoms (like lambskin). Natural membrane condoms are not recommended for disease prevention. Latex condoms are superior to lambskin in preventing the transmission of viruses. Latex condoms should be used each and every time you have sex. The fact that a condom was used, even though it was lambskin, is better than no condom at all. There is anecdotal evidence that people have been infected with HIV and STDs while using lambskin condoms during vaginal or anal sex. There is still no evidence that people are infected through receiving oral sex.

RMK

Previous
a BIG thanx!!!
Next
Insertive Vaginal Sex - Did you say 1 in 500 with infected partner

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.