Amsterdam and HIV

I had sex in Amsterdam with a sex worker from sex club and i was drunk I did not used Condom but was in les that 10 minutes .I would like to know the probability to get HIV . I going to be test. she said that in Amsterdam they do not let sex worker work who are HIV.

There are many factors that will make a difference in the likelihood of HIV transmission. Some of these factors may be more observable and measurable than others. For instance, wearing a condom is a clear way to protect yourself from infection. You can observe things about the condom on your own; the condom was on or not on, the condom was intact or ripped.

The duration of unprotected sex is not a reliable way to determine your risk for infection. How many minutes of exposure does it take for someone to get infected? There is probably no way to determine this for every situation. What if we knew exactly how long it took for transmission to occur when having unprotected sex? Research does not provide much useful information around this, for good reason.

This does not mean that if you start having unprotected sex with someone that you should throw in the proverbial towel. Clearly, if you can, there could be some benefit if you stopped and then put on a condom.

Mucous membrane-HIV infected fluid contact is enough to put you at risk for infection. It's possible that this happened in the case you describe, but even if your partner was infected, transmission is not guaranteed. Do your best to use condoms in the future (especially when you do not know the status or risk history of your partner) and get tested.

For information about per contact risk, see my response to "Recent Study of Per Contact Risk" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q13167.qna).

RMK

Hand Job & Std's
A Follow up question