Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need help
Jan 2, 2002

Ive had sex with 2 guys and neither of them have been tested and neither have I. I have gotten 5 or 6 yeast infections this year but Im not sure if thats what they were. Im a lifeguard during the summer and someone told me that sitting in a wet swim suit can cause an infection but i dont know if that is true or not. I also have a yellowish discharge in my underwear all the time and i was daily. I get swollen and very itchy and (for lack of better words) I get "chunks" of a white\yellow substance in my vagina. Please help me. I dont want to ask my mom.

Response from Mr. Kull

Discharge from the vagina can have different causes, like sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea, or infections/irritation of the vagina or cervix. What you are describing is most commonly attributed to "vaginitis," an irritation of the vagina that causes abnormal discharge. The symptoms may also include an unpleasant odor, vaginal itching or burning, and feeling like you need to urinate more frequently. Most women will experience vaginitis at some point in their life. Infections, allergies, and irritants can lead to vaginitis, and it is important to see your doctor to get an appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Vaginitis can be caused by infections that may or may not be sexually transmitted. Candidiasis, also known as yeast infection, is caused by an overgrowth of yeast (candida) in the vagina. Antibiotics, pregnancy, infections, among other things, can lead to a yeast infection, and it is probably not sexually transmitted. Bacterial vaginosis (BV), is caused by a bacterial infection, and trichomoniasis (trich)is a common sexually transmitted infection.

Vaginitis is often not a serious health problem, especially if you get appropriate medical care. If the cause of your symptoms is sexually transmitted, you will probably want any current sexual partners to be treated as well. You should also try to abstain from, or at least use condoms for, vaginal intercourse until you see a clinician. This will decrease the chances of you being reinfected in the future. Examination and treatment are important because certain infections can lead to long-term health complications.

Visit the "Women's Health" page at Plannedparenthood.org for more information about reproductive health (http://www.plannedparenthood.org/WOMENSHEALTH/index.html).

RMK

Previous
11 weeks testing
Next
Hand Job & Std's

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.