The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is there such a thing as partial disability?

May 8, 2010

I have been HIV positive for eight years, and I am on Truvada and Viramune, which seems to be working. I have a very stressful job, however, and I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I am exhausted. I see a counselor regularly, and am on Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression issues.

I can't quit my job because I need the health insurance and I have a mortgage payment to make. I know that I am too healthy to go on full disability, but I feel like I am having a nervous breakdown and I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions? Is there such a thing as partial disability? How in the world to I address this with my employer?

thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I would suggest you talk to your HIV specialist and your counselor and explore the possibility of work restrictions due to your health issues. Employers cannot discriminate against those with HIV. Your physician can limit your work hours or recommend a less stressful position. This would be for a limited period of time to see if your health improves. Transitioning to part-time or even consideration of full medical disability could be considered as a next step if temporary work restrictions do not help.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

I don't know what else to do
Vocal chord inflamation the result of HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint