The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mixed Status Couple - Broken Condom

Dec 15, 2006

I'm HIV positive and my husband is not. We have been together for 9 years now and fortunately broken condoms are not common. But yesterday we had sex and it broke, now, we know the risk is very low for him (i'm undetectetable, etc) but he has a little irritation apparently from the condom itself and has what looks like a very tiny red pimple. Is there a risk, should he get profilactics. And if so, could he use my treatment for say 2 weeks or do we need to call my doc. (i'm taking truvada, norvir and reyataz).

Thanks very much for this site I've been using it since 98 and its been a great resource in life. I specially love your answers.

Z. from Miami

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Miami Z,

A condom failure does place your hubby at some degree of risk for HIV, even though your viral load is undetectable. (This would lower, but not completely negate, the risk.)

I can't really evaluate the PPP (penis pimple problem) without examining it. Most HIV experts would offer a course of PEP to your husband if the exposure was within 72 hours. A full course of PEP is 28 days. Chances are your HIV specialist would be willing to prescribe the medication, follow your husband during his PEP treatment and arrange for post-PEP follow-up HIV testing.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Hi there from New Zealand.
handjob with possible sore on penis. Please help

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint