The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neccesary Virus Load for Transmission

Jul 18, 2005

Dear Dr. Frascino, We have been a gay couple during 12 yrs. Im not a carrier a HIV, but muy boyfriend is a HIV+. He is receiving his treatment in a satisfactory way. His viral load remains indetectable, and we have safe sex. I do an ADN pro viral Test, every 6 months. Is it possible for me to get the HIV? even when his load is indetectable?. What should we do in case an accident occurs during sex? Thank You, Simòn from Venezuela.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Simon,

Even though it may be more difficult to transmit the virus if an HIV-positive person has suppressed his viral load to undetectable levels, the possibility of transmission remains a very real risk.

Your best protection from acquiring HIV is to be very diligent in practicing safe sex by properly using latex condoms. If an accident occurs and you have a significant exposure to HIV, you should consider post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). This involves taking a 28-day course of anti-HIV medication. PEP should be started as soon as possible and no longer than 72 hours after exposure.

Simon, you and your boyfriend's situation is somewhat similar to mine and Dr. Steve's (Dr. Steve in The Body's Tratamientos Forum): we, too, are a magnetic couple that has been together for 12 years! Apparently the old saying, opposites attract, is indeed true.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Do people write back about the time they took to seroconvert?
Trying harder this time

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint