Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why not wear 2 latex condoms???
Sep 20, 2000

Hi. I have an extremely healthy (and frequent) sex life. I practice safer sex all the time. The main issue for me is: Do I wear 1 or 2 condoms? I wear 2 condoms 90% of the time, and occasionally wear only 1 when I feel adventurous. Given the possibility of condom failures, I theorized that putting on 2 would provide an added level of safety in case something happens to the outer one. So far, no problems. Also, it gives me substantial peace of mind w/o getting worried. Question: If 1 condom enough, and wouldn't 2 be better?? If so, why not recommend that people always wear 2 instead of 1? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Kull

I do not know of any studies that examine the effectiveness of using two condoms (some people refer to it as "double bagging"). I do not advise people to double-bag for this very reason; we don't know if it actually reduces condom failures. It's possible that two condoms do protect you further, but I don't know if the two condoms reduce effectiveness. For instance, it's possible that two together actually cause greater friction, thus damaging the integrity of the condom. What I do know is that it will decrease sensitivity to the penis during sex.

Working in HIV prevention, I struggle with getting people to use one condom. If people use one condom most or all of the time, then I am encouraged. If we start telling people that they need to use two condoms, they might become discouraged and not use them at all. And what does this tell us about the reliability of one condom? I would assume that manufacturers would make condoms thicker if they thought it would help.

For now, if using two condoms makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead. Using one correctly is just as important. If people out there have any feedback on this topic, I'd be more than happy to read it and/or post it.

RMK

Previous
Using a condom, but?
Next
What Is The Risk for a Med Tech

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.