Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral sex
Sep 25, 2000

my boyfriend wants to perform oral sex, but I am hiv +.

can he become infected if he does this? he knows of my

condition.

Response from Mr. Kull

It is possible to be infected with HIV by performing oral sex on an HIV-infected person. The risk for oral transmission seems considerably lower than the risks for anal or vaginal transmission. Inherent differences in the mouth seem to affect the risk level: protective factors in saliva, different types of cells, and durability of the mucous membranes all play a role. Your viral load might also affect the likelihood of transmission.

There are several issues that your partner should be aware of to reduce his risk:

1) He can always use a condom to protect himself from infection. I would suggest unlubricated latex condoms to reduce the unpleasant taste of lube. Don't put anything containing oil on the condom.

2) If no condom is used, remember that less fluids he comes into contact with, the better. Pre-cum does contain virus, but much less than ejaculate. So do your best to not ejaculate in his mouth. That requires clear communication and some self-control.

3) He can perform oral sex without putting the head of your penis in his mouth. That requires creativity.

4) Any trauma, sores, or irritation in his mouth will increase his risk for infection. Skip oral sex if this is the case.

Read my recent response to Oral Transmission of HIV for information on a recent study that showed HIV to be transmitted through oral sex. Oral health and amount of semen in the mouth were implicated in their infections.

RMK

Previous
Infection through kissing
Next
HIV & Condoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.