Transmission from fellatio
Dec 19, 2002
How likely is it that HIV can be transmitted from giving a minute or so of fellatio to someone (who rumour has it is +ve).
There was no exposure to ejaculate but possible exposure to pre-cum. There was also no evidence of bleeding gums or sores in mouth.
What other STDs can be contracted this way.
Response from Mr. Kull
Most of the information about HIV transmission through oral sex that is published, including information that is provided on The Body, states that the risk of infection through performing oral sex on an infected person is low, and is definitely lower than unprotected vaginal or anal sex. There are different reasons why this may be true:
1) Epidemiology: there is evidence that HIV has been transmitted through receptive fellatio (performing oral sex on a man), but the numbers are MUCH lower than infections occuring through vaginal or anal sex. If oral sex were as risky, the numbers would most likely reflect that.
2) Biology: saliva contains some protective factors that may inactivate HIV when it comes into contact with the mouth. The mucous membranes of the mouth may also be less prone to infection with HIV when compared to the mucous membranes of the rectum and genitals.
While oral contact with HIV infected pre-ejaculate is sufficient for infection to occur, infection is more likely to occur when a person ejaculates in the mouth. Your oral health and the presence of sexually transmitted infections will influence the risk of transmission. The likelihood of infection for you will also be dependent upon the status/risk factors of the person with whom you had oral sex.
It is possible to transmit a sexually transmitted infection from the penis to the mouth. See Can I get STDs by oral sex...
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Oral Sex Insertive Hiv Risk
- When An Insect Bites Someone With Hiv Can It Be Transmitted To Another Person?
- Can You Have Sex With A Hiv Infected Person And Not Become Infected?
- Why Patient Have Hiv Increase Cd8?
- Tested Negative For Hiv Still Scared
- What Does Serum Hiv Antibody Status Non Reactive Mean?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.