Anal Warts?/Can I spread them?

Doc -- I wrote about what I think are anal warts (bumps near my rectum that are white looking (some more red). Several look like what I have seen people refer to as skin tags, in that they are not flat to the body, they can be moved around and one seems to barely be hanging by a small piece of skin. I am concerned about the possibility of passing these from my anal area to my vaginal area when washing, etc. since everything I have read indicates that they are spread by direct contact. I certainly don't want to spread them! I would also like to know HOW I could have gotten ANAL warts since I have NEVER engaged in anal intercourse, only vaginal?????? Last, but not least, can I pass them on to others by such things as shared towels, etc? I certainly don't want anyone else to "catch" them from me. Your answer would be appreciated because I can not find an answer anywhere else on the board in all of my reading on the subject.

First of all, I do not recommend diagnosing genital warts by yourself: only a medical professional should do so. This might save you a lot of time and worry about the issues you bring up. A doctor could (and should) treat them for you. That would decrease the chances of spreading them to others.

Genital warts are caused by a type of HPV (Human Papillomavirus) that is more likely to cause symptoms in the genital region, and less frequently to the mouth. For that reason, genital warts are more likely to be spread through sexual contact. Touching a wart and then touching another area of your body is actually NOT direct contact. It is possible, but unlikely, to spread warts to your vaginal region with your fingers (especially if you're washing that area of your body). It is also unlikely to spread them through sharing towels.

Your best bet is to see a doctor, get them treated if they are warts, and get a pap smear.

RMK

HPV infection
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?