HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

vl=34232, cd4 = 64

last year my vl= nondetected and cd4 = 112. I had been under the treatment of AZT, ddI and EFV. The result of this year is that vl=34232 and CD4 = 64. So today I got a drug resistance test, the result of mutation found is; M41L, D67N, G67N, G190S, L210W and T215Y. I still take EFV, Stavudine and Lamivudine during waitng for my result before going to see the doctor next week. What will be the alternatives if this treatment is not effective?

Response from Dr. Little

You appear to have multiple resistance mutations to AZT and a single mutation which may make you less susceptible to EFV (G190S). In the face of these mutations and your current viral load, I would strong consider a change in your current therapy. I would discuss the possible options with your doctor - since without your complete medical record, I cannot provide you with the best possible advice (I do not know what you have taken previously). I would certainly consider the use of a combination protease inhibitor regimen, perhaps with something like lamivudine and d4T or ddI. There are many options and a significant part of the decision process includes your likes/dislikes/and concerns about proposed treatment combinations. Good luck.

Deltasone / Prednisone side affects
A question of resistance?