Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vl=34232, cd4 = 64
Nov 29, 2001

last year my vl= nondetected and cd4 = 112. I had been under the treatment of AZT, ddI and EFV. The result of this year is that vl=34232 and CD4 = 64. So today I got a drug resistance test, the result of mutation found is; M41L, D67N, G67N, G190S, L210W and T215Y. I still take EFV, Stavudine and Lamivudine during waitng for my result before going to see the doctor next week. What will be the alternatives if this treatment is not effective?

Response from Dr. Little

You appear to have multiple resistance mutations to AZT and a single mutation which may make you less susceptible to EFV (G190S). In the face of these mutations and your current viral load, I would strong consider a change in your current therapy. I would discuss the possible options with your doctor - since without your complete medical record, I cannot provide you with the best possible advice (I do not know what you have taken previously). I would certainly consider the use of a combination protease inhibitor regimen, perhaps with something like lamivudine and d4T or ddI. There are many options and a significant part of the decision process includes your likes/dislikes/and concerns about proposed treatment combinations. Good luck.

Previous
Deltasone / Prednisone side affects
Next
A question of resistance?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.