HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Changing dosage of Stavudine

Now I am an South East Asian living in my country, I have been under the treatment by combination of 3 medicines; Stavudine ( 1 tablet of 40mg after breakfast and diner), Lamivudine ( 1 tablet of 150mg after breakfast and diner), and 3 tablets of Efavirenz ( Bed time only). Half of my income devotes to this treatment. I have a problem that there was a flooding diaster in my country, therefore, I lost a bottle of my Stavudine. A friend of mine had given me one pack because he change into the new medicine recently. The problem is that this Stavudine is 30 mg and in the capsule form. I wonder how can I take Stavudine because the dosage will be lighter than usual. I am 33 years-old, 175 cm tall, and 65 kg.

Response from Dr. Little

I cannot be certain, but suspect that the dose of 30 mg twice daily would be adequate for one month if you do not have enough money to purchase new pills to replace those that you lost. If your viral load is being monitored and is undetectable, I would feel even more comfortable with this advice. It sounds like you have made a very substantial committment to your health - I wish you good luck.

ADVICE PLEASE
Deltasone / Prednisone side affects