Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PML and resistence to all
Nov 27, 2001

I'm a 39 years old german man,who was infected in 1983, Aids broke out 4 years ago with a PML infection, that i survived, also when the doktors had given me up. I recovered with a light brain damage. I can't speak and i'm left side paralised. I am resistent, but despite of that i could reduce my v.L. off 950000 to 320 the t4 cells go up 20 to 120 with the following ART Trizivir and Kaletra. I heard that a swatch therapie is reasonable in my case. Is that a hope?

Response from Dr. Little

Based upon the information that you have given me, it sounds like a drug resistance test would be the place to start (you may have already had one). These test results could then be used to try and select the best possible treatment for you, even if you have some resistance markers to some of the drugs you are taking. The Kaletra is often quite effective in people who already have some level of protease inhibitor drug resistance. I would not think that switching therapy without information about all of your past antiretroviral drugs and drug resistance test results (either or both of these are useful) would be reasonable.

Previous
Sustiva & Combivir
Next
ADVICE PLEASE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.