HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Sustiva & Combivir

Dr: Little: I have decided to to get off my first and only drug combo. Tested poz in 3/00 VL was 17,000 & CD4 695. Today VL 50< CD4 988. If I stop the Sustiva then the Combivir a few days later--? Any hopes of using them again? Thannks for your help.

Response from Dr. Little

Yes, assuming that your viral load went down promptly on this therapy and has stayed less than 50 for the duration, it sounds like you are unlikely to have developed drug resistance that would preclude the use of these drugs in the future. In general, any drug that was stopped because of patient preference or toxicity issues can be tried again (obviously assuming the toxicity was not serious) if the duration of use was associated with sustained control of the viral load (VL <50) with the expectation of success.

VL <400 but jumping around
PML and resistence to all