HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

How strict on hours?

Sometimes I am 1-1.5 hours late or early taking meds. Is that a cause for resistence? In the two months I have been on treatment I have missed one sustiva taking, for I couldnt take it in morning going to work; it makes me feel dizzy. Is it something to worry about? Thank you

Response from Dr. Little

You are doing great - plus or minus a couple of hours on a dosing is not a big deal - especially with a twice or once a day treatment regimen. The problem arises when people make a pattern of missing doses, or delaying the dosing schedule significantly (multiple hours in general). Sustiva does have this effect on many people - especially during the first 2-3 weeks of taking the medications. If you do the best you can and stick with the schedule, the side effects generally get better. If you need to push the dose up or back for this drug several hours though it is not a major problem - since this is a once a day medication with a long half life (the blood level stays high for many hours after a missed dose). It sounds to me like you are doing a great job!! Congratulations.

what do you think?
Shall I medicate?