Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Post exposure profolaxis as a way to remian -ive.
Nov 1, 2001

Can PEP work indefinately as a way to remain negative. My logic runs if someone goes on combination therapy even before the HIV virus is exposed to the body, then this is could be a type of vaccine. I know right now it is used mostly by doctors who get stuck by needles, but if there is a 100 success rate on this, isn't it worth looking into? What are the resistance issues since to develop resistance the virus has to be present to develop the resistance. Your comments on this matter will be greatly appreciated (resitance wise). Thanks so much for the good information and for the support and education that you provide over the net! I am in the Vaxgen phase III vaccine study and am interested in alternatives for staying negative.

Response from Dr. Little

Post-exposure prophylaxis is not 100% effective. It is also distinctly possible to develop drug resistance if done improperly in the setting of primary HIV infection. Post-exposure prophylaxis is ONLY recommended in people with infrequent exposures who follow the recommended post-exposure prophylaxis guidelines for healthcare workers to the letter. This is not a good approach for someone who is likely to be exposed one or two times each month - this is exactly the setting when I would be the most worried about developing resistance.

Previous
Strange resistance
Next
HIV+ to HIV-

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.