HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

HELP HELP ME**

I have been on crix, retrovir and epivir for one year and 3months as my first regimen. I have been undetectable for more than ten months, but the last two tests show that the vl is coming up to 3000,and a decrease of cd4, from 300 to 250.

my question is, is this resistance? or if I think of switching drugs which is the best combination? I have heard of sustiva and combivir, but also read somewhere as combivir is just epi + retrovir(did I misunderstood??), if I go with that combination is it okay? please advise me.

Assuming you have been adherent to the regimen, then a viral load jump from undetectable to 3000, may be the result of resistance. You are correct, combivir is AZT (retrovir) and 3TC (epivir) together. If resistance is present in you, it is very likely that 3TC, and probably some AZT resistance is present. A resistance test might be helpful in determining whether there is also crixivan resistance. Sustiva would be one option. It would not be advisable to continue 3TC. Check with your doctor about other meds that could be combined.

MH

INITIAL VISIT TO SPECIALIST
viral load