HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

48 and Scared to Death Again Again and NOT AGAIN!!

August 28, 2000

From last note, I MUST CLARIFY. I DID take Combivir ALONE for a bit under a year, after dropping triple therapy of AZT, 3TC and Viracept, which nearly killed me with black mud coming out of me. All this time however, by viral load was always under 500 - by how much under I don't know. Test was not that sensitive. I got disgusted and quit all meds for over a year now (do not take anything). I quit taking the Combivir when I was undetectable. My Viral load was as I stated recently - the higher number was 7,287 on RNA by PCR. My CD4's are over 600, (per last month's test). Could I go on Combivir alone again, if I start pills again to try it? It NEVER gave me any side effects and it did keep my VR undetectable, in my case. I am reluctant to go on triple therapy because of bad side effects I attributed to Viracept. Everybody is so different. I do NOT believe I am resistant to Combivir. I did not take it for that long. I was just diagnosed in September of 1997 - three years ago.

Please bear with me. When I question again I'll use another descriptive title, or you will really roll your eyes.

Me

The answer is still the same. Combivir alone would not be considered standard of care. Although we will never know whether you got your viral load to < 50, if it was detectable and <500, there is a good chance that some resistance developed. Because you have been off treatment for a while, a resistance test will not be useful. There are many other options besides viracept. Check with your doctor regarding some of the other treatment strategies.

MH

WHATS the difference???
CD4 - number vs. percentage?