HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

will I ever become undetectable?

I have been pos. since 1988 and am currently on amprenavir/norvir/ziagen/combivir and sustiva. My last viral load just came back at 3k. Is there any hope that some of the new meds coming, i.e. abbott 378 and pmpa will finally bring my viral load to undetectable. I hear about all of these success stories of individuals becoming undetectable and remaining there for years. Do I have some super virulent strain? Can you give me your perspective on my situation?

Hard to know where you stand. You don't indicate what your CD4 count is, or what your baseline viral load off meds might be. I assume you have been on meds previous to this regimen. I also assume you are compliant with your regimen. There then must be some element of resistance, because that powerful of a regimen, without any resistance, should have gotten you down to undetectable. A resistance test might help you peel back some of the meds you are on that are no longer effective and still maintain a reduced viral load compared to being off therapy. Some of the newer agents may also help too.

MH

Sluggish CD4 count/undet. VL
Dosage Timing?