Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

will I ever become undetectable?
Sep 11, 2000

I have been pos. since 1988 and am currently on amprenavir/norvir/ziagen/combivir and sustiva. My last viral load just came back at 3k. Is there any hope that some of the new meds coming, i.e. abbott 378 and pmpa will finally bring my viral load to undetectable. I hear about all of these success stories of individuals becoming undetectable and remaining there for years. Do I have some super virulent strain? Can you give me your perspective on my situation?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Hard to know where you stand. You don't indicate what your CD4 count is, or what your baseline viral load off meds might be. I assume you have been on meds previous to this regimen. I also assume you are compliant with your regimen. There then must be some element of resistance, because that powerful of a regimen, without any resistance, should have gotten you down to undetectable. A resistance test might help you peel back some of the meds you are on that are no longer effective and still maintain a reduced viral load compared to being off therapy. Some of the newer agents may also help too.

MH

Previous
Sluggish CD4 count/undet. VL
Next
Dosage Timing?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.