HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Genotype/phenotype testing

Doctor,

thank you for answering my question of August 23 when I asked about cd4 increasing but so is viral load.

I went to the doctor and asked for the genotyping and phenotyping tests at which blood was drawn and sent to the lab and following is the exact answer the doctor got back. "Although this sample has more than 1000 copies/ml of HIV 1 RNA we were unable to perform genotypic and/or phenotypic analysis of this sample due to insufficient amplification of genetic material". My question is does this mean that I have likely got a strain of HIV that is resistant to all the drugs available I am getting rather scared about this as I thought that these tests would tell what regime I would be able to use to get me back to reasonable health again.

NO you don't have a resistance strain of virus, that we can measure. The methods we use to analyze virus in your blood for resistance are not perfect. The lab that attempted to perform the test on your blood, never was able to get any result. Therefore we don't know whether your virus has resistance or not. The inability to get a sequence to analyze occurs every couple of hundred tests, even when there is sufficient virus present to quantitate. You might try another laboratory if your health plan allows for that. Not all the methods are the same, so a different lab might be able to get an answer.

MH

Why my viral load goes down markedly without treatment
Regimens Not Working will Resistance Testing Help!